Login   Portal   Chat    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Forum » LUFC Forum » Committee Section

Post subject: Advance Prep of Liv Uni Open
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Spaff just sent us pretty good news about the kit money he requested (nice one Spaff, Hepner will be buying you a drink for that!!!!!! :D )

Im wondering if this is a very good time to bring up the possible open comp Mike had suggested. If we have a good plan in mind as to whats going to happen, ie

- what wep (foil only i think we suggested)
- how many people
- can we actually organise it (with the new kit and EOYC experience, probably)
- what the money is needed for

that sort of stuff, we can go chat to sport liverpool and the sports centre about what would be involved and actually start planning it.

There are some particular nightmare issues:

- For an event this size, we really need some decent health and safety and some people capable of doing first aid on the day (sport centre staff may cover that)

- We need to sort out how people can come to the sports centre without paying (so probably giving the sports centre a cut, which there will likely be a stupid system for.

so i think some early planning is in order. Before we go chatting to the sports centre and SL i think we could probably do to have a very good idea how we intend to run it so we can be very well prepared for any awkwardness SL can throw our way.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Advance Prep of Liv Uni Open
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:01 pm 

How many people in the club are first aid trained?

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

not sure but i'll bet its not many, and certainly not much of the committee. But as I said, the sports center staff are, so that will probably be ok. A grasp of the specifics of the event is really the important bit at the moment.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:28 pm 

As coaches, I believe both Mike and Keith are both first aid qualified, and I'm pretty sure the sports centre staff are as well.

We can suggest to SL etc that we include the door fee in the entry fee. We have the sign in desk in the foyer, and when people check in they get a ticket. They seemed to have this system at the norfolk open, and I couldn't see any problems. we'd have to negotiate re-entry to the buildings though.

for working out the working out size of comp what about this. 1 Poule per piste= 7 people. 8 pistes in 1 hall = 56 people. We're planning it on a weekend at either end of a holiday, we might be able to negotiate for both halls or one hall for a whole weekend (I think we should try for the latter, as it's easier to run, although). If we can't get this then each event will have to be limited to 28 entries, but I doubt that would happen.

I don't think we have to worry about organisation, as long as the committee (or anyone else) commit to DT and Refereeing finals etc.

As to weapon, we had agreed to do foil only, for space reasons as it is our first external comp.

Oh, and very well done on this forum btw

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Fair enough. Dan, are you in liverpool anytime soon? If so I suggest we go pitch it to SL nice and early when they have nothing else to think about.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:29 pm 

We were planning on having this beginning or end of Easter hols weren't we? Since we don't want to clash with glasgow open which will prob be around same dates each year, would end of Easter hols be best...? That would be 25th / 26th April methinks...

Also where are we thinking of advertising the event... just word of mouth locally, or would it be worth seeing how much it would cost to put advert in the Sword, or on BFA website, or we could just post things on all the fencing related facebook groups we could find...

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:55 am 

---------
Unfortunately I' not in scouseland till september, and am unlikely to be able to make it during the hols. However, e-mail is a wonderful thing. If we work out all the other details, I can send a flashy e-mail to SL. And another one. and another. Until we get sorted. I can also despatch one of my Heralds (any committee people in liverpool..) to SL to make it more personal, and show what a well run club we are when all the committee know what's going on. As for the date, we can't fix that till the date for glasgow is set, but we know we're planning on either end of the hols. As long as, when we do pitch it to them, they know this, I'm sure we'll be able to negotiate space enough. i doubt they do bookings this far in advance without forgetting about it anyway.

I also have some cheery news. I spoke to Laszlo at the Nationals, and he has finally been paid, and is still willing to do training days with us should we wnat him.

Profile E-mail  

Forum » LUFC Forum » Committee Section